Monday, July 14, 2014

Chicken Burrito Bowls



I found this recipe over at Budget Bytes (she calls them taco bowls) and just like she describes it's "slow cooker 101". I threw this together when I came home from work one morning last week and it was ready by the time I woke up for my next shift!
 
Prep it:

 
  • 1½ lbs. chicken breasts (I used three of the frozen ones from the bag)
  • 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
  • ½ lb. (8 oz.) frozen corn
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder (I left this out)
  • ½ Tbsp cumin (And I left this out)
  • ½ Tbsp minced garlic (I used double this)
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (Again, just shook some in there)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups dry rice
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar (I just used a Mexican blend)
  • ½ bunch cilantro (optional - but I definitely recommend it)


  • [You can tell I follow recipes super well] 
     
    Make it:
    (Directly from Budget Bytes)
    1. Add everything except the rice, cheese, and cilantro to the slow cooker along with ¼ cup of water (for good measure). Give everything a good stir and make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture.
    2. Secure the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
    3. Near the end of the cooking time, cook the two cups of rice according to the package directions (I definitely used instant)
    4. After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker. Stir with a fork to shred the chicken (it should be super tender and will shred easily). Build the taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment



    blogger template by lovebird